Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Homeschooling - New Start

This has been such a blessed week, as God has really shown me what matters in homeschooling my children. It started with a frustrating day last week when I was unable to teach my 7 year old Ben what an adjective is. I was so upset! So was Ben.
That night I lay, thinking about why Ben needs to know what an adjective is right now. My only answer was because society thinks he should. You know his kindergarten teacher was failing him because he couldn't hop on one foot. Well, within a year he could hop on one foot. So, I have adopted a new theme for our homeschool experience, "Relax". Not exactly relaxed homeschooling, but more like we have 10 years to learn everything, not this is grade 2 so we better learn everything in grade 2. We are going to learn about things the kids are interested in and do fun projects and focus on serving other people as God has called us to do as Christians. So we have signed up to help serve tea at the old folks home once a month.
Our first fun project is a lapbook on animals in winter.

To start, I asked the kids what they think about when they think about winter. They said, cozy houses, warm food and cold outside. Then we said ice is the coldest thing and we played "Melt your ice cube" game. Each child would roll a die and if they got;
1 - hold it for 10 seconds; 2 - drop it down your shirt (which Ben is doing above); 3 - blow on it for 10 seconds (which Ben is doing below); 4 - drop it; 5 - put 10 shakes of salt on it; 6- float it in water for 10 seconds.

This is Jacob holding his ice cube below because he rolled a 1. We had so much fun! It was so nice to laugh during school. Of course, this was a learning tool to see which melted the ice fastest. Rebekah won because when she dropped hers it broke in half and smaller pieces melt the fastest.

I am lucky, because my kids like doing math, so we will keep that up and I'll have to think of some fun ways to teach what an adjective is!
"I have no greater joy than to hear that my chilren walk in the truth." 3 John verse 4. NKJV

1 comment:

  1. You are the best home school Mom/Teacher anybody could ever have. I'm so proud of you.
    I'm sure the kids are really happy with you to.

    ReplyDelete