Friday, March 15, 2013

Behold, Jesus is at The Door - A Lesson in Attentiveness

I finally made a craft that I had thought of years ago while teaching Junior Church.  Jacob was still a baby and we were using lots of Costco brand baby wipes. They have the plastic closure on top where you pull out the baby wipes.  It hit me one day that you could use that as a door. Then Revelation 3:20 came to mind right away.

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him and he with Me."  Revelation 3:20

We are learning about "Attentiveness" for our Bible Character Quality Study right now and I thought Revelation 3:20 would be a perfect memory verse for it.

I explained to my kids that when we are attentive, our eyes are OPEN, our ears are OPEN and our mouths our CLOSED. In the verse it says, "If anyone HEARS My voice...."  So, we need to be listening for Jesus. He is waiting to have sweet fellowship with us.

And if we need salvation, all we have to do is "open the door of our heart" and let Jesus in. We believe that we are sinners, that Jesus is God, that He died on the cross as payment for our sins and rose again to have the victory over death. It is good to think of such things with Easter coming up.  This year I will not be putting out Easter baskets. I will give the kids a little treat on Saturday, but Sunday we want to focus on what Christ did for us on the cross.

Anyhoo, here are the instructions for this craft.

You will need;
the plastic closure from Costco brand baby wipes (door)
popsicle sticks
a picture of Jesus (you could have your children draw one)
brown paint
scissors
glue
paper to glue this on to


We started by cutting the picture of Jesus to fit behind the "door". Then glue that down to your paper.


Next we glued popsicle sticks to cover the door.


After we glued on the popsicle sticks (and a trip to Tim Horton's for coffee), we painted the door brown and added "cross beams" that were painted before they glued them on. (refer to picture)


This is what it looks like finished.  This one is Rebekah's. Notice the, "knock, knock, knock"?


And here is the open view. This one is Ben's.


They turned out exactly as I imagined they would. ONLY, please don't be like me and put them right into a notebook. I was so excited to be finally making these, that I didn't think about how thick they would be and had the kids glue into their Bible Memory Verse books!

This post is linked up to; Raising Homemakers, Hope in Every Season, Growing Home, A Wise Woman Link Up Mama's Moments



6 comments:

  1. Awesome Crystal. You are a wise and wonderful Mom and Womom...Good job of using your creativity. They look really good to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very neat idea! Clever! Sounds like they might need a frame with the verse for a wall hanging since they don't fit in the memory verse book! Cute.
    Enjoyed your post.
    Visiting by way of Sarah's Homemaking Link Up.
    Thanks, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great craft idea!! Thanks for sharing. I think I will definitely be doing this with my kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading about your homeschool! It looks like you teach all of your children together sometimes. Do you do most of their work as a group? Or just certain things? I've homeschooled for 17 years, but my children are on such different levels that we don't do many subjects all together any more. I would love for you to come visit me at my personal blog and at www.hiphomeschoolmoms.com where I am co-owner and social media director. We love to share encouragement and ideas with other homeschooling moms! And we love to learn from other moms as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy
      Other than math and english, we do most all other subjects together. Unless it's something that one particular child is working on their own.
      I have been on your website and have added my blog to the blogroll. It's a great resource. Thanks!

      Delete