Thursday, August 28, 2014

Canned Mixed Veggies

I had to get out my pressure canner this week to can up some mixed veggies.  A friend down the road from us gave us a bunch of carrots and I grew a lot of celery and beans this year. 

I must admit that the pressure canner does intimidate me some what, but every time I use it, I get better results.  I had to remember what I had learned last year, which was my first year pressure canning.  Luckily, I posted my lessons on my blog and you can find them here.  I found it very helpful to review these.

I ended up with 7 quarts of mixed green beans, yellow beans, carrots, celery and onions. And 7 pints of mixed carrots, celery and onions and 3 pints of just celery and carrots.  These will come in handy over winter when I want to make a big pot of turkey quinoa soup or some other yummy soup.

I am not sure about the difference in hot pack and raw pack on the end result scientifically, but I tried both methods to see which one I liked best.  For appearance, I preferred raw pack.  The veggies in the picture below were canned using the raw pack method and I think they look very appetizing.  When I canned the quarts of beans with all the other veggies, I used hot pack and those veggies are quite drained of colour and don't look that appealing.  I'm sure they will taste great in soup though:)



On a side note.  Here are some pictures of a storm heading our way last night.  I didn't know what to expect, but it wasn't as bad as it looked:)


 
This post is linked up to; The Farm Blog Hop

1 comment: