Friday, April 1, 2016

Making Tomato Sauce From Frozen Tomatoes

I have finally processed the last of my frozen tomatoes. I still had about 30 lbs in the freezer and needed to free up that freezer space.  I have already canned lots of tomatoes and more salsa than I can count, so I figured we need some tomato sauce.


Now, I love freezing our garden tomatoes whole in the fall.  That way I free up my time to process the other garden fruits and veggies in the busy season.  Then, when everything has quieted down and I feel like canning, I have them ready.

Also, when you freeze tomatoes and after they thaw, the skins just slip off. So no need for boiling them.  Bonus!!!

The skins didn't really bother me for this recipe anyway.  Garden grown tomatoes tend to have thinner skins and I was running them through my food processor.

Tomatoes thawing out.

Ready to be processed.

I just made a very simple recipe.  I cooked 3 chopped onions in about 1/2 olive oil.  Then I added 8 cloves of minced garlic.  Then I added all the processed tomatoes and salt and 2 Tbsp crushed chili peppers.  I cooked this until it reduced by about 2 quarts. Then I added a big can of crushed tomatoes and 156 ml can of tomato paste.

I'm sure I could have processed the jars in a water bath, but I chose to do it in my pressure canner because of the oil.

I ended up with 18 pints when it was all done and now I finally have a little bit of freezer space.

Thanks for stopping by.

Crystal


2 Corinthians 9:6

But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Crystal. I love the verses you choose to go with your blogs.

    ReplyDelete