Thursday, June 21, 2012

Chicken Potpie with Cheesy Biscuit Topping

It has been so long since I posted a recipe and I love to read other people's meal ideas, so I would like to share this with you.
I made this for our potluck at Field Day a couple of weeks ago. I was inspired by this recipe on Taste of Home, only it used way too many processed foods for my liking, so I improvised. (I used a quart jar of home butchered chicken in broth to make this.)

Chicken Potpie with Cheesy Biscuit Topping

Photo from Taste of Home

1/2 cup  margarine
1 small onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 cup  flour
2 cups milk
2 cups chicken broth
1 can mushroom soup
1/2 sour cream
3 cups cooked, chopped chicken
2 cups frozen peas with carrots (or whatever veggies you want)
Salt and pepper

Cook margarine in skillet, add onions and celery.  Cook until tender. Add flour and stir and cook for 2 mins. Whisk in milk and keeping stirring until thick. Add chicken broth and stir. Stir in mushroom soup and sour cream and chicken. Add vegetables and salt & pepper.

Pour this into a greased 9x13 pan.

Biscuit Topping

3 cups flour
1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp shortening
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 3/4 cup milk

In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.  Cut in shortening until it resembles oatmeal. Stir in milk, then knead until just sticking together.

Drop by spoonfuls over top of chicken mixture, then top all of this with 1 cup grated cheddar cheese.

Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 35 - 40 mins

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment