Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Low Carb Sponge Cake Recipe

I have been trying to convert some of my favorite recipes to be Trim Healthy Mama friendly.  This recipe was such a great success, I had to share it with you. Sponge cake with strawberries and whipped cream is one of my favorite desserts. 




 
 
 
Here is the recipe;
 
 
4 eggs, separated
equivalent of 1 cup of sugar replacement. I used a stevia type that was twice as sweet as sugar, so I used 1/2cup. I would suggest using a granular type instead of liquid drops to help with the bulk and texture.
1/4 cold water
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup cold old fashioned oats
about 2/3 cup almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
 
Beat egg yolks with sugar until light in colour. Beat in water and vanilla.  Grind oats in a coffee grinder, pour into a 1 cup measure.  Add enough almond flour to fill cup.  Stir dry ingredients into egg yolk mixture.
 
Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into yolk mixture.  Pour into a greased 8x8 pan and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes. It makes 8 servings.
 
I like to eat this cake cold from the fridge with strawberries and whipped cream, both sweetened with stevia. I want to try in next time with a chocolate cream cheese icing.
 
 This post is linked up to: Hope in Every Season  Rasising Arrows  Sew Crafty Angel
 


No comments:

Post a Comment