Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Easy Chicken Macaroni Casserole

A few months ago, I bought 5 boxes of frozen, boneless, skinless, chicken breasts for $2.88/lb.  That is unheard of around here.  But I have found that they cook up kind of rubbery.  So, I've had to think of ways to use them, where they are kind of hidden.
I made up this recipe for Chicken Macaroni Casserole one night by using what we had on hand and it turned out really good. It's loaded with flavour and everyone eats all the veggies in it which they wouldn't other wise. Bonus!

2-3 diced chicken breasts
2 Tbsp oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 c chopper bell pepper (any colour)
1 can mushroom soup
1/4 c parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp parsley
2 Tbsp chicken OXO
1 c water
1 c frozen mixed vegetables
1 1/2 c grated cheese (I usually use mozzarella, but I used cheddar tonight)
4 1/2 c dry macaroni

Fry chicken in oil, with pepper (you don't need any salt as the OXO and parmesan are salty enough). Add onions and peppers.  Fry until cooked.  Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook macaroni.
Stir soup into chicken. Add parmesan, OXO, parsley, water, and veggies. Cook, until warmed through.


Stir chicken mixture into cooked macaroni.



Pour into greased 9x13 pan and top with cheese. Bake at 350 for 35 mins.



While the casserole is baking, I like to wash up the pot, frying pan, strainer and grater so that they aren't as many dinner dishes to do up later.

This casserole makes 6 large servings.

4 comments:

  1. That recipe sounds just delicious, like a real comfort food casserole - thank you for sharing it ;)

    I find the same thing with these kinds of chicken breasts, but I do think that a good "saute" in the fry pan with olive oil helps a lot! I have some in my freezer, too. At $1.98 per pound in my area I can't pass it up. So there they are - alongside what is left of our home raised, farm processed, natural birds, LOL! Quite a contrast, but we eat both. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny Cary! I know it's nice having inexpensive, easy to use meat on hand.

      Delete
  2. I call that comfort food..delicious! And that's a good price, the cheapest we get them here is 2.99 a lb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy. I'll have to cook that up one night. You are so creative. No wonder your family loves your cooking.

    ReplyDelete